Thursday 15 March 2012

Poetry...

'Poetry is the music of being human. A good poem is a gift to the world.'
Carol Ann Duffy, Poet Laureate quoted in Writers' News: April 2012 www.writers-online.co.uk/
Unfortunately, not everyone understands poetry. I took a 'work in progress' to the Lindum Scribes on Tuesday night and a number of the members commented that they did not see it as a poem but rather as prose as it did not rhyme. Luckily some of the others members made a few constructive comments and I know what I need to do - cut it back and tighten the images.
I still feel I am loosing out by attending a mixed writers group. I mean mixed in the sense of all types of writing accepted. One of the members read out a piece of over 2000 words and mine - including the title - was 144 words. I got to read out one poem and had all of about 10 minutes in the spotlight compared to a lot longer for some of the others.....

No comments: